Thursday, March 17, 2011

Aunty Verna’s Lemon Pie


This is a recipe that my friend Sam’s great aunt shared with me. While I was a student at McMaster and Ryerson, Sam’s family had me over for every holiday dinner. Whenever I went there I ate the most delicious food! Her family is from South Africa and the women really know how to cook. A few of the highlights included Sam’s grandma Merle’s, famous samosas, and Sam’s mum Ruth’s, lasagna (specially made for me since I’m a vegetarian☺), doughnuts made from scratch, home-made éclairs and Aunty Verna’s lemon dessert. I really miss that family!
 
Ingredients

Arrowroot cookies (half packet)
¼ cup butter
¼ cup melted sugar
3 egg yolks
1 can condensed milk
1 cup lemon juice (I use freshly squeezed)
2 tbsp grated lemon rind
3 egg whites
1 tbsp icing sugar

1) To make crust crush arrowroot cookies, stir together ¼ cup sugar and ¼ cup melted butter and press into pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes, at 350 degrees. (You can also use a graham crust, although Aunty Verna says not to do this :))

2) For the filling beat the condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon rind and yolks until well mixed. Pour on top of the crust and bake until brown, about 25 or 30 minutes. After it cools I sometimes sprinkle coconut on top.

3) Optional merangue (I prefer this dessert with no topping and I eat the egg whites in an omelette instead) Beat eggs white and icing sugar (can also stir in coconut). Add on top of lemon and bake another 10 minutes until peaks are brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment