Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sylvia's Lentil Soup


I lived with my grandmother in Salmon Arm a few summers ago after she broke her hip. Her neighbor, Sylvia, was an amazing cook and used to run over with the most delicious food - including lentil soup. This recipe is based on her description to me of how to make it. I wouldn't say it always turns out quite like hers but it is really good and I make it all the time because it so easy and healthy.

1 onion chopped
3-4 cloves garlic minced
2 carrots chopped
2 celery sticks chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cans green lentils (or about 1.5 cups dry lentils rinsed)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp cumin
1-2 tbsp rosemary
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar

1) Saute onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Add vegetable broth, lentils bay leaves and rosemary. Bring to a boil and then simmer until lentils are soft (about 1 hr if using dried lentils, 15 minutes if using canned lentils.

2) Remove bay leaves.

3)Blend half of soup and return to pot. Sylvia explained to me that this thickens the soup and releases the flavor. Add sugar and soy sauce.

4) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment