Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Caper's Power Cookies




I love Caper's Power Cookies and wish I had the exact recipe. Below is what I've come up with, but they aren't as good as the Caper's version. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! I do still really like them and find them a perfect treat to have at work and for studying.

Ingredients
1 cup raisins
1 and 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ginger powder or nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped dried fruit or chocolate chunks
1/2 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (shell-less)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (shell-less)
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 egg lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
1/2 cup syrup (maple or rice syrup)

Method
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Oil 2 large cookie sheets. Soak raisins in boiling water for ten minutes. Drain.
In a large bowl, put flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger or nutmeg and chopped nuts. Mix well.
Add oats, drained raisins, chopped fruit or chocolate, and seeds.
In another bowl, put lightly beaten egg, apple sauce (or second egg), oil or butter and syrup. Beat until well blended.
Add to dry mixture, mix well.
Drop by tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets. Sometimes I flatten the cookies with a fork dipped in water (my nana taught me that trick).
Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are golden on edges and tops are set.
Cool on wire racks.

1 comment: