Sunday, August 7, 2011

Strawberry Mousse

I made this recipe the night before we went to Saturna and we ate it out on the deck.



This recipe is from Cole's stepmum, Gill, and it is now one of my favorite desserts! It comes from one of her South African cookbooks, "Cooking with Ina Paarman". The book actually calls it 'Strawberry cheese dessert' but Gill calls it strawberry mousse, which sounds nicer:)

Ingredients
387 g sweetened condensed milk (1 and 1/3 regular sized tin)
1/3 (80 ml)  cup lemon juice
300 g fresh strawberries
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla esence
250 g cream cheese (called creamed cottage chesse in the cook book)

1 cup whipping cream
mint leaves for decoration

Use a food processor or electric mixer for easy mixing. Blend the condensed milk and lemon juice until the milk thickens. Wash, dry and hull the strawberries, reserving 12 for decoration. 

Blend the remainder with the condensed milk. Add the vanilla essence and cream cheese.

Whip the cream in a separate bowl until think and fold into cheese mixture. Pour into a glass dish or individual glasses.

Serve with reserved strawberries and decorate with mint leaves.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I see that on Ina Paarman's website she says 800g strawberries. Your recipe states 300g. Which weight should I use? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delayed response! I've used 300 g every time I have made it and it has turned out very well. If ended up using 800 g can you tell me how it was and maybe I will try it?

    ReplyDelete